Edinburgh 2010 mission conference themes
The International Missionary Conference held at Edinburgh in 1910 shapped Protestant mission thinking for the rest of the 20th century, and one of the spin-offs was the formation of the World Council of Churches.
Now a similar gathering is being planned for the centenary, and the following themes have been proposed:
Following are the suggested titles for each thematic study, an outline of the subject matter and key questions to be addressed. The suggestions provided should be regarded as provisional – a starting point from which each Mission Theme will develop its particular approach. On each of the Mission Themes the aim would be to gather, evaluate and share models and stories of good practice.
The Nine Mission Themes
1. Foundations for mission
2. Christian mission among other Faiths
3. Mission and postmodernities
4. Mission and power
5. Forms of missionary engagement
6. Theological education and formation
7. Christian communities in contemporary contexts
8. Mission and unity – ecclesiology and mission
9. Mission spirituality and authentic discipleship